Thursday, August 13, 2020

The No-Fail Pav Bhaji Recipe

This post is dedicated to Alka Grover, who shared this brilliant recipe. I love you! <3

Pav bhaji is my second-most preferred comfort food (after idlis). Growing up in one of the busiest localities in Kolkata, yummy pav bhaji was easily available. When I moved out of the city, finding good pav-bhaji was a pain. Most places make pav bhaji in mixed-vegetable style, with too much masala thrown in. I crave to have home-made pav bhaji that brings together sweet, sour, spicy, and tangy together beautifully in a buttery concoction. And then one day, I had the pav bhaji that Alka auntie makes and I became an instant fan! Now that I barely get to see her, she shared her recipe with me. This recipe gets recreated in my kitchen at least once a week. It takes me up to an hour to do everything and there's enough bhaji for 2-3 people. 

Here you go!   

INGREDIENTS:

Vegetables:

  • 4 medium-sized potatoes, boiled 
  • Cauliflower, peas, beans, lauki - about the same quantity as the potatoes; steamed (pro-tip: do not use carrots as it changes the taste considerably. I personally do not like the texture of laukis so I avoid that too. Also the only veggie that you absolutely must have is cauliflower)
  • 4 tomatoes, chopped (the redder the tomatoes, the lovelier would be the color of the bhaji!)
  • 1 medium-sized onion, chopped 
  • 4 cloves of garlic - peeled and finely chopped/ grated
  • 1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated
  • 1 lemon
  • Some green coriander for garnishing

Masala: 

  • 1 tsp salt (adjust as per taste)
  • 1/2 tsp ground zeera
  • 1/2 tsp ground dhania
  • 2 tsp pao bhaji masala (I only use half the quantity so that it's less spicy)
  • 1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds (optional)
Others: 
  • Oil for cooking onions
  • Butter
  • Pao!

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:

  • Heat a little oil in a pan and add chopped onion. Fry until the onions are brown. I used to earlier use a non-stick pan but switching to a thick bottomed stainless steel pan makes the bhaji much smoother.
  • Add ginger and garlic and stir for a minute
  • Add the tomatoes and cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add 1/2 tsp salt and cover with a lid so that tomatoes become a little tender.
  • Meanwhile, peel and mash potatoes and the steamed veggies. I generally grate them!
  • When tomatoes start leaving oil, add the dry masala, stir and add the veg and potatoes. Cook on slow fire. Once nicely mixed add half a cup of water (more/ less depending on the texture that you want).
  • Add 2 tsp of butter. I usually add half the quantity though! 
  • Taste and adjust as per taste. Turn off the gas and add lemon juice if you want it to be tangier. On most days I find it to be fine without the lemon juice.
  • Garnish with chopped onion, tomatoes and coriander leaves.
  • Eat with buttered toast or pao.


No comments: